It’s a new year and a new decade! 2020! Some people see the new year as a new beginning or a time to start over, create new goals and resolutions, and some just continue on as just another day. Regardless it can be a time to reflect, plan and also check-in on your mental health as well as the well-being of your relationship or marriage. If you do make new year resolutions or goals regarding your finances, education, family or physical health, don’t forget about your mental health and nurturing your relationship.
Here are a few ways to make your mental health a priority in 2020:
1. Ask yourself “am I ok?” Check-in with you. Sometimes life is going so fast we don’t even know we are suffering mentally or need to slow down. If you aren’t ask yourself why, and try to identify what is that you need to do differently to improve your mental health.
2. Set healthy boundaries in your life. Don’t be afraid to say “no”. If need be take back control over your life. At times family members, our jobs, friends and others can ask too much from us and we find ourselves over-extending ourselves and stressing out over things that we actually can control, but don’t to make others happy. Set boundaries, give yourself a break and say no sometimes.
3. Decrease Stress. Stressful moments in life are most times inevitable, but ongoing stress is not healthy for your physical or mental health. Some ways to decrease stress are to understand what the stressful triggers are and practicing self-care.
4. Self Care. Practicing self-care is so important. Taking a time-out to rest and relax is essential at times. You can find daily self-care activities as simple as taking a walk, mediating, listening to music etc. can definitely decrease stress. Also creating a list of self-care activities to practice daily to weekly will help you relax and reset.
5. Get Help. If you are feeling sad, depressed or angry for over two weeks, and it is affecting your relationships, work or school, it’s likely time to see help. This could mean talking to a friend, family member or seeking help through a counselor.
Take steps now to make sure you have a great 2020! Don’t let this year go by without setting goals and working towards them. Your mental health is important, make it a priority and be well.